Thursday, October 12, 2006

Covering the tragedy

Yesterday was a whirlwind day for me as I traveled to New York for a postseason game, only to find that a Yankees pitcher was killed in a plane crash that struck a Manhattan high-rise and that the game was postponed due to rain that hit the city almost at the same time the plane hit the building.
While sitting on a JetBlue plane last night, I watched television coverage of the tragedy, but today I had an opportunity to see the New York Times and their multimedia department must have been working overtime last night because they have a slew of items for readers to see.
If you visit Times.com and go to the site's special section on the crash, you can find a plethora of items to click on. First up is an interactive graphic mapping the flight of the plane from its start at Teterboro Airport to its demise on East 72nd St. Next is a video report on the story itself. Then, Tyler Kepner, the Yankees' beat reporter, provides an audio report giving what he knew about Lidle. Joe Drape is up next with audio covering eyewitness accounts of the crash. Lastly, there are two slide shows; the first one shows the neighborhood people and their reactions to the crash while the second one has some very telling photos of the crash scene itself.

All in all, I think it's a superb effort on the part of the Times to produce the interactive material.

Also, while I was on the plane watching the television news coverage, WNYW FOX 5 had a segment where the anchors were discussing the plane itself and to describe the Cirrus SR20, the producers used a YouTube clip of the plane. I cannot find that clip, but I thought it was interesting to see the television medium turn to a site like YouTube for information. If I find the clip, I'll post it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home