Wednesday, September 13, 2006

How do you get your news?

This morning, I noticed on Boston.com that you can get the page one stories of the Boston Globe in the form of a podcast. This is the first time I've seen this, though I've probably just been ignorant about it. I clicked on it and listened to the news. It was a six-minute podcast and it told me a few of the top stories, including the Globe's follow-up spotlight piece on debt collectors and how they mistakenly go after the wrong people.

Despite this wonderful technology, I don't see myself moving towards podcast news. I could change my mind in the future, but as of now I see myself sticking to things that I can read with my eyes. My reason? I prefer things that are tangible and I see words as being more tangible than sound. I enjoy picking up a newspaper, and I like reading things on my computer screen (though, longer pieces do hurt my eyes).

Besides, when I'm walking down the street with my iPod in hand, I'd rather be rocking out to some tunes than hearing about how Chris Gabrieli claims Deval Patrick is "outside the mainstream", as the Globe reports.

That is not to say that the podcast does not have redeeming value. My favorite use of the podcast is to listen to radio segments from ESPN Radio. I get short five or 10-minute podcasts and listen to them to get reactions to sports news by the company's top radio personalities. In fact, as I'm typing this, I am listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning's segment on how the Atlanta Braves' impressive 14-year division title streak has come to an end.

Overall, I suppose it's a matter of choice. The casual reader on the go is more likely to embrace the six-minute rundown of the day's top stories. The reader who wants some depth is more likely to stick to more tradtional means of getting news. And yes, I'm considering reading the paper online a more traditional means.

So how do you get your news these days?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home